GP International Induction Programme FAQs and glossary of terms

Who is this programme aimed at?

The programme aims to introduce qualified GPs to NHS clinical practice safely, keeping up high standards expected within the NHS.

The International GP Programme is for overseas qualified GP's who have never worked as an NHS GP before.

How long will the programme be in place?

National programmes have been in place since 2003. This programme was revised in March 2015 and again in 2020.

How do I apply for the programme?

The programme is co-ordinated through the GPNRO website. You will find information to guide you through the application process. If you are eligible, you will be able to download the registration form, complete and return to the NRO.

How long will it take to complete the programme?

Each doctor will have a formal review of their qualifications and work experience and learning needs (using the Self-Test) by a local HEE programme lead. You do not need to be on the GMC register at this stage.

If approved for the scheme you will normally be invited to take a formal learning needs assessment (MCQ). Depending on your score from this you may also then need to undertake the Simulated Surgery. Your scores from these will determine then length of your supervised placement. To sit the assessments you do not need to be on the GMC register.

Practice placement length varies and is planned around an individual doctor’s learning needs.

What qualifications, approvals and certificates do I need?

To start a formal clinical placement in a IIP GP roll you need to be:

  1. Medically qualified and have completed formal training as a general practitioner, hold a recognised EU GP qualification or hold a Certificate of Eligibility for GP Registration (CEGPR)
  2. On the GMC GP Register, in good standing and hold a current Licence to Practice (LtP) as a GP
  3. Have the right to work or hold a visa that permits you to work in the UK
  4. Have applied for (and hold approval before the clinical placement is commenced) by NHS England and admitted to the Medical Performers List (MPL) with conditions that permit you to enter the GP International Induction Programme


I trained abroad and have no UK experience. Am I able to apply for the programme?

Any overseas doctor with formal postgraduate GP qualifications is entitled to register and undertake an educational review with an HEE Lead.

To enter a programme practice clinical placement you need to have been granted a CEGPR or are an  EEA qualified GP and are on the GMC GP Register (without GMC conditions or undertakings - except those relating solely to health matters) with a licence to practice is eligible to enter the programme.

I have previous UK work experience as a NHS GP but not practised recently. Am I able to apply for the programme?

Any doctor (EEA qualified or holding a CEGPR) who has previously worked as an NHS GP but has been out of general practice for two or more years and is on or is restored to the GMC GP Register (without GMC conditions or undertakings - except those relating solely to health matters) with a licence to practise is eligible to apply for the Return to Practice programme.

Do I need to sit assessments?

Doctors on the programme are required to arrange an educational and career review with the local HEE programme lead and will normally be approved for the Learning Needs Assessment (LNA) Review pathway

Then you will be asked to sit the two-part MCQ assessment which are held 8 times per year (Clinical Problem Solving (CPS) and Professional Dilemmas Paper (PD),

These may be sat overseas or in the UK in designated assessment centres. Dependant on the outcome of these, you may also need to do a Simulated Surgery assessment.

If English is not your first (or your qualifying medical degree) language, then following the Simulated Surgery you will receive formal feedback on your language and communication skills to inform your placement learning plan.

During the practice placement the educational supervisor will provide regular feedback and document this on the e-portfolio.

Those doctors following the CEGPR Streamlined Process for doctors (who qualified as GPs in certain countries) will not need to sit the LNA's.

What happens if I fail or do not complete any of the assessments?

The local HEE programmee lead will be able to give you advice and options. Applicants are able to attempt the programme up to a maximum of four times. The GMC will be informed of the outcome of all assessment attempts. Successful applicant assessments will remain valid for a year from the pass date.

What happens if I do not complete my supervised practice placement?

You will not be able to work as an independent GP in England without full inclusion on the Medical Performers List and removal of the Medical Performers List conditions agreed by the NHS England regional team.

Are there jobs available if I do complete the programme?

You will be able work in the NHS as a locum GP, apply for formal GP salaried posts or partnerships in England. There are many areas where there are GP vacancies, and these are frequently advertised in the medical press.

If I am not working, how do I get my DBS?

If you are unable to find a suitable umbrella body from the https://www.gov.uk/find-dbs-umbrella-body website, then there is a company called GP Systems who have helped a number of doctors obtain their DBS. Their website is http://www.gpsystems.org/.

What exactly is needed in terms of occupational health clearance and how do I know which provider to approach?

Your Occupational Health Clearance should state that you have had the necessary blood tests and are fit to practise. It is also a requirement that you are cleared for EPP (Exposure Prone Procedures). There is a copy of the NHSE Health Assessment form that covers all of the requirements on our website. The OH provider needs to be a SEOQHS accredited provider (or working towards it). A list of OH providers can be found at  http://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/find-providers.asp. Please note it is worth ringing around a few providers as the charges can vary a great deal.

Do I need evidence of past appraisals? What happens if I don't have this evidence? How can I retrieve proof of previous appraisals?

Ideally you should provide copies of your last appraisals if you have undertaken any.  You may be able to obtain a copy by contacting your previous employer. If you are unable to provide a copy or have never had an appraisal then please state this on the MPL application.

What medical indemnity am I required to hold?

In the UK there is the national Clinical Negligence Scheme for GP

From 1 April 2019, NHS Resolution has a new state indemnity scheme for general practice in England called the Clinical Negligence Scheme for General Practice (CNSGP). The scheme covers clinical negligence liabilities arising in general practice in relation to incidents that occurred on or after 1 April 2019. CNSGP provides a fully comprehensive indemnity for all claims within its scope

The CNSGP is provided free to all doctors on the scheme. If your Medical Performers List application is straightforward and there are no issues then we would advise that the Medical Indemnity is the last thing you sort out for your Medical Performers List application.

Not all roles or activities are covered by the CNSGP therefore all doctors should consider a  “Top Up” private indemnity as well.

You will need to maintain membership with an MDO or other indemnity provider or insurer to retain cover in respect of activities and services not covered by CNSGP – including non-NHS or private work, inquests, regulatory and disciplinary proceedings, employment and contractual disputes and non-clinical liabilities.

If your indemnity is more complex (e.g. indemnity being provided by a commercial organisation), then NHS England and NHS Improvement would like to review the policy before you agree to it to ensure that it is adequate and appropriate. In these cases you will need to start the process earlier.

At what point is it best to ask to have my GMC licence to practise?

As you will need to be registered with the GMC and on the GP Register before you can be accepted onto the Medical Performers List, it is advisable to ask for your licence to practise as soon as you have decided to proceed with your application for the programme.

What happens if GMC revalidation is due before or during my placement?

Please contact the NHS England team who are your designated body - in most cases this will be the team at Cheshire & Mersey (ENGLAND.IandRScheme@nhs.net). They can issue you with a REV11 - provision of Medical Services Statement (PMSS) which you email to the GMC and confirms that you are currently on the scheme.



CCT Certificate of Completion of Training (GP)
CEGPR Certificate of Eligibility for GP Registration
CPD Continuing professional development
CPS Clinical Problem Solving
DBS Disclosure & Barring Service
EU European Union
GMC General Medical Council
HEE Health Education England
HMRC HM Revenue and Customs
IIP International Induction Programme
MCQ Multiple choice questions
MD Medical Director
MDDUS Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
MDO Medical Defence Organisations
MDU Medical Defence Union
NHSE NHS England
MPL Medical Performers List (England)
MPS Medical Protection Society
MSF Multi source feedback
NRO National Recruitment Office
PD Professional Dilemmas
PSQ Patient satisfactory questionnaire
RO Responsible Officer
RTP Return to Practice
SJT Situational Judgement Test
WPBA Workplace Based Assessment