The NHS GP Induction and Refresher (I&R) Scheme provides a safe, supported and direct route for qualified GPs to join or return to NHS general practice.
It is designed for GPs who have previously been on the GMC Register and NHS England’s Medical Performers List (NMPL) and would like to return to general practice after a career break, raising a family or time spent working abroad.
The scheme also supports the safe introduction of overseas GPs who have qualified outside the UK and have no previous NHS GP experience.
All GPs are required to be on NHS England’s NMPL before they can practise. The I&R scheme must be completed before GPs can be approved for full inclusion on to the NMPL as an independent general practitioner. GPs not currently working in general practice can apply to return to the NMPL for up to two years after which they will need to apply to join again and complete the I&R Scheme.
Features of the I&R scheme include:
"Induction and Refresher Scheme Pathways summary"
Dedicated practical support
- There’s access to a dedicated account manager to help guide you through the entire process. They can provide support such as
- advice on completing forms and paperwork
- assistance with arranging occupational health assessments
- advice on arranging indemnity
- co-ordinating assessments and placements on your behalf
Tailored to your needs
- The scheme includes a range of assessments including placements and simulated surgeries to support GPs on their journey to NHS general practice. The assessments can be tailored to fit around needs and personal commitments.
- There’s a range financial support available too. This includes help with costs such as indemnity and a monthly placement bursary of up to £3,500, up to £18,500 for overseas relocation costs and help with visa costs and sponsorship for UK-qualified, non-EEA clinicians.
- You can find out more about how you can get help with funding here.
More information about the scheme can be found on this website, by watching our short film, and reading our step by step guide and FAQs