The ‘Targeted GP Training' scheme is designed for GP trainees who:
- passed their Workplace-Based Assessment and,
- one of the two required exams - either the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT) or Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA) but left training without passing the second exam
to re-enter GP training.
How to apply
Advert published: 19 July 2018
Applications open: 10:00 BST, 31 July 2018
Applications close: 16:00 BST, 16 August 2018
Applicants should submit their applications via Oriel.
About the scheme
Participants will be on the scheme for 18 months whole time equivalent, with a further 6 months available under exceptional circumstances. The Reference Guide for Postgraduate Specialty Training in the UK (Gold Guide, 7th Ed.) rules will be followed, with a number of exceptions listed in A Guide – Targeted GP Training under paragraph 9.3.
Health Education England (HEE) consulted with a number of key stakeholder, including COPMeD, CoGPED, GMC, RCGP and the BMA, before developing the final scheme. Details, including FAQs, can be found on HEE's website.
Eligibility criteria and guidance
The eligibility criteria for entry into the scheme is detailed in the Targeted GP Training person specification. Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Have held a GP National Training Number (NTN)
- Left GP training between August 2010 and January 2018
- Have taken both, but passed only one of either the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT) or Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA)
- Have satisfactory Workplace-Based Assessments (WPBA)
- Have taken but not passed the other exam of the two
- Have current General Medical Council (GMC) registration with a licence to practise
- Been in medical practice in the NHS in the last two years.
GP programmes in all regions in England and Scotland will open for applications and recruitment and selection process for entry to Targeted GP Training scheme will follow the same process as for entry to GP ST1. Further details are provided in the Targeted GP Training applicant guide.
Recruitment into the Targeted GP Training scheme will be open for all specialty application rounds for entry into training from February 2019 to August 2021. This means applications will be open from July 2018 until February 2021. Further information about the recruitment lifecycle of the scheme can be found in A Guide – Targeted GP Training and the FAQs.
Details of specific dates for each round can be found on the Recruitment page.